Monday, February 2, 2009

A Snow Day in London!


We woke up this morning to find it had snowed about 4 or 5 inches!! We were told upon arrival a year ago that "it never snows in London." Well, it sure did today!


Naturally today was a rare day when all the kids were up, fed and dressed by 7:00 a.m. At around 7:45 a.m. the phone started ringing off the hook, emails were flying around fast and furiously and I was getting text messages from other parents asking if school is cancelled. I am the class rep for Owen's class so at least 10 other parents called me. The first conclusion from the morning was that Abercorn School does not have the best method of communication with parents about school closings. But, in their defense, I am not sure they ever had to do this before!

John was pretty lucky to make it to work this morning. When he left around 7:15 a.m. there were no buses running and service on several tube lines was suspended...all I kept thinking was, "c'mon...it is just a little snow!" These people would not survive a Chicago winter!

As a result of this "adverse weather" we had our first snow day in London. The kids and I bundled up in whatever we could scrounge together. I foolishly believed the "it never snows in London" theory so we are without snow pants or snow boots. We walked (slowly!) over to my friend Allyson's house where we were also meeting my friend Kelly and her kids. Then it was off to Primrose Hill to meet another friend Ellen and her daughter. It was so much fun and it was amazing to see how many people came out to enjoy the rare snow day in London.






I have concluded, however, that I really do not like snow. I won't go so far as to say I hate it, but I am pretty darn close. I really dislike getting all bundled up and dealing with wet mittens, wet pants, wet socks, etc. It is a bother to me to have to deal with it at all. In fact, I haven't missed it one bit and hope it all melts rather quickly! This also answers the question of whether we would take the kids skiing...I really don't think so. I am much more partial to a beach or pool and warm weather!

I just got an email from Abercorn...no school again tomorrow...good grief! I hope you are having a great day...time for movies and popcorn at "The Lodge."
CHEERS!

No comments: