....is worse than the Illinois State Bar Exam!
John and I bought a car. Our US licenses were valid for one year since our entry date, which means as of 29 December 2008 we were no longer permitted to drive on our IL licenses. So, we began the arduous process of studying for and taking the Theory and Practical Driving Tests.
The Theory Test is made up of two parts. First, you must answer 50 multiple choice questions and answer 43 of them correctly to pass. Let me give you an example (this is a REAL question!):
A person herding sheep asks you to stop. You should
A. ignore them as they have no authority
B. stop and switch off your engine
C. continue on but drive slowly
D. try and get past quickly
Here's another one just for fun....
You are driving through a tunnel. Your vehicle catches fire. What should you do?
A. Continue through the tunnel
B. Turn your vehicle around immediately
C. Reverse out of the tunnel
D. Carry out an emergency stop
I'll give the answers at the end...if you must know, scroll down. Part two of the Theory Test is called "Hazard Perception." You are shown 14 video clips as if you are driving a car. In each clip there is at least one hazard, maybe two. You must click your mouse as soon as you see a hazard or when you would have to maneuver to avoid a hazard. There are 75 possible points and you must get 44 to pass.
I am happy to report that John and I both passed the Theory Test. We both answered 48 out of 50 questions correct. John, however, is must more attune to hazards than I am because he earned 60 points where I barely passed with 48!
Next was the Practical Exam. John and I have both been out with our instructor, Howell, for a few hours. Both of us are experienced drivers. In fact, Howell has said, "you are not learner drivers, you are experienced drivers who must learn the nuances of driving in England." He further said, "my job is not to teach you how to drive, but how to pass the test."
On Wednesday 1 April 2009 I went for my Practical Driving Test. Howell picked me up and we drove for a good hour before heading to the testing center. As we walked into the center to check in Howell said, "remember, you are a good driver."
My examiner, Ray, met me at the door and said, "You are late. One more minute and you would have failed." We were not off to a good start. We walked over to Howell's car and Ray said, "Lift the bonnet." That's the hood to you and me. Then he said, "show me where the brake fluid reservoir is." Then he said, "tell me how you would check the oil and where you would add oil if necessary." I did fine on this portion.
We got into the car and Ray said, with a smirk, "the sunshine brings out all of the Americans. You are the fourth American woman I have tested today." I thought to myself...what the hell does that mean?!
Then we started driving. In addition to just driving around and through a couple of roundabouts, Ray asked me to:
1. turn the car around in the road (a 3 point turn but you cannot use a driveway or hit the curb)
2. back around a corner (this is the most ridiculous maneuver, but is mandatory to pass in this country)
3. park uphill
4. back into a parking stall
We returned to the test center and Ray said, "well, I'm sorry to tell you that you failed. You are a very experienced driver. Too experienced in fact because you kept up with traffic which made you speed. You were doing 40 in a 30 zone."
I was silent on the drive back to St. John's Wood. When Howell said, "it is okay" I snapped, "No, Howell, it is NOT okay...Colleen Rock does NOT fail." More silence. Finally Howell said, "he could have just given you a minor fault and told you to slow down, I am not sure why he failed you for that. We'll try again after the holiday."
John has not taken the practical exam yet. I will keep you posted. For the record though, my friend (and running mate) Sara Milani just passed on her 4th try.
CHEERS!!
(the answers to the questions are: A and A)
1 comment:
You'll pass. That guy was a jerk.
;) Stacey
Post a Comment