Halloween was surprisingly a very busy time here. We live in a predominantly American community so trick-or-treating is very popular here. John and I decided to have some of the kids' friends over for some snacks before heading out to trick-or-treat and then have a BBQ back at the Lodge. Well, trick-or-treating was absolute chaos! It was so dark by the time the kids got out of school and got into costume. The houses that actually had candy were quite spread out and some of our English neighbors were ill-prepared for this much-loved event as evidenced by the shriveled clementines and handfuls of coins they handed to the kids with a bewildered look upon their faces.

During our walk around the neighborhood all we noticed was that the drivers in London do not seem to care that kids are running from house to house and collecting candy; they still went speeding by with complete disregard for the kids. John and I and the other parents were complete wrecks and absolutely terrified for all of the little people we had with us. I sent John home with a couple other Dads (much to their relief) and the youngest kids. The rest of us followed shortly thereafter. Our first London trick-or-treating ended a bit sooner than planned and it was back to the Lodge where everyone had a Happy Halloween.
We then had a week of visitors...first the Bruners arrived from their relaxing vacation in Italy. When John and I first visited London together in 1998, we stayed with Chris and Aileen.

We were delighted to return the favor to our amazing hosts! Chris, Aileen and Jake arrived on Monday, November 3. We had a really great few days - a lot of talking, the zoo, a lovely tasting dinner at Orrery, Election Night Party and dinner with Sophie Giles and Devin Graham. The weather was sadly very typical of London so our time outside was limited. But spending time with our dear friends was a real treat!
The Bruners left on Thursday, November 6, so I had one day to turn this place around for our weekend guests. First to arrive on Friday, November 7 were Jenn Bollenbacher and Marissa Carberry.

Jenn's mother and I were in book club together in Barrington. When Sandy emailed to say that her daughter and her daughter's roommate (both girls attend Tufts) were heading to London to meet up for a weekend away from their respective study-abroad programs (Madrid and Paris...oh to be in college again!). Anyway, they were looking for a cheap hotel so I explained that it doesn't get any cheaper than The Garden Lodge. It was fun to live vicariously through the lives of two college girls - and I'm pretty sure living with a family with 3 kids was a form of birth control! My kids loved having Jenn and Marissa at our house to play with and I'm pretty sure they thought they were new babysitters.
We also had John's college fraternity brother, Matt Beaumont, in town for the Arsenal v. Manchester United football match. Matt lives in Germany (see May post on our visit to Moisburg), so it is an easy trip for him and even if he lived in the states I think the chance to see an EPL match would get him here! Needless to say, there was always a pot of hot coffee in the morning and an open bottle of wine in the evening.

The following week I went out with 15 other women to celebrate all of the birthdays in October, November and December. We decided that we will go out to celebrate each quarter rather than trying to go out for each birthday - the schedule was starting to get a bit busy and I felt as if I was never home. I'm pretty sure John felt that way too. On Saturday, November 15 we hosted a dinner party for some of the Chicago contingent that we know here - O'Reillys, Portnoys, Dubins and our friend Perry Stamp. It was a late night with good food, friends and wine.
On Wednesday, November 19, Team Mueller boarded a flight to Chicago...and our 10 day trip home! Our flight was an early day flight so the car picked us up at 5:45 a.m. We were really worried about the kids, but they again proved to be seasoned travelers. They each found something to do on the flight: Leapsters, activity books, movies, whatever. Kate and I took a power nap and we landed in Chicago at 1:15 p.m. We arrived to Mama and Papa's mid-afternoon. The kids were delighted to be in familiar surroundings, but they didn't last too long as the jet-lag was already taking effect.
On Thursday, November 20 at about 1:30 a.m. the kids were up and ready to go. Their poor little bodies thought it was 7:30 a.m.! Try as we might to convince them to go back to sleep it was no use. At 3 a.m. they crawled into bed with me and John and we prepared to get ready to leave for Florida for our good friends' (Lisa Atkins and Bill Case) wedding on Gasparilla Island.
We left for the airport at 4:30 a.m. leaving Mama in bed with the kids watching "The Aristocats." Sorry Mama!
The wedding weekend was a complete blast - most of all because nobody else at the wedding besides Lisa and Bill knew that we were coming. I regret not having my camera aimed and ready to capture the reactions of our friends when we arrived to the cocktail reception that evening!

Lisa and Bill's wedding ceremony was beautiful, the setting was splendid, but most of all spending the weekend with such good friends was the best. John and I have really come to realize that our time with family and friends is precious and we cherish those times indeed.
We returned to Chicago on Sunday, November 23 and were so happy to see that Team Snow had arrived safely from Boston. We were all heading to Galena, IL on Wednesday, November 26 for a FURO (Fusco-Rock) Thanksgiving. In the meantime, we spent our days catching up with friends in Barrington, dentist appointments, trips to the bank, UPS store to collect our mail, and of course time with cousin Maggie! And, as with every stop in Barrington - we had lunch at Egg Harbor with friends! The Guthries, Brienens, Beth Chernik and Rachel Cook joined us at our favorite local haunt.

The afternoon/evening was spent at my sister Meg's giving lots of quality time for the cousins. We also got to say a quick hello and share a glass of wine with our friends the Altons. Then it was back to Oak Park for dinner and a visit with my brother Jay and sister-in-law Lauren. Their girls were sick and they were going to stay home from Galena, which made us very sad. However, as parents we understand and appreciate that with kids life does not always go according to plan!
On Wednesday, November 26 we caravanned up to Galena, IL for Thanksgiving. About 25 years ago when we started going up to Galena with the Fuscos there were 12 of us - six in each family. This year there were 41! With marriages and the birth of children our clan has grown exponentially. It is one of the dearest holidays to me and my memories of Galena are so special.

Our FURO family continues to grow and I hope that our children appreciate the friendship and love that we share with the Fuscos.
Sadly our time in the US had to come to an end and it was back to London on Saturday, November 29. Our flight was at 9:50 p.m. which we have determined is a great time for us! All five of us were asleep and missed the dinner service. When I woke up the flight attendant even commented, "I don't think I have ever seen an entire family asleep at one time." We arrived back to The Lodge around noon. We fed the kids some lunch and tried to stay awake for the entire day. The kids finally crashed around 6:30 p.m. but then they were up at 12:30 a.m. Needless to say, the re-entry that week was brutal, especially because the kids had to return to school on Monday. But by the end of the week they were back to their routine and schedule.
Since our return from the states there has been a flurry of activity. On Saturday, December 6, John and I attended the Getco Europe Holiday Party. It was an overnight at The Taplow House Hotel in Berkshire. It is important to note that John DROVE us there! He managed 5 roundabouts and we traveled on the M4 in our new Hyundai Santa Fe with John Vlahos and soon to be Mrs. John Vlahos (Lindsay Kehr). I was quite impressed with John's driving. I received my provisional license, but have yet to tackle driving. I am such a chicken!
Anyway, John's company arranged a lovely afternoon for us on Saturday. We were divided up into teams and sent to compete in archery, laser pigeon (skeet shooting w/ lasers) and wine tasting. Then there was reflexology for the women and Scalectrix (remote control race cars) for the men.

After the activities we changed for the party - cocktails, dinner and dancing. It was a wonderful party and we feel very lucky to be part of the Getco organization.
On Sunday, December 7, we arrived home just in time to rally and get ready to host the first leg of the First Annual SJW Progressive Dinner Party.

This year thirteen couples participated. John and I hosted cocktails and appetizers; then it was to Ellen Eskenazi & Andy Schuster's for dinner (co-hosted by Kelly & Andre Basile) and finally dessert at Allison and John Wallace's. It was a lot of fun, but we all decided it must be moved to Saturday next year! Look out Saturday, December 11, 2009!!
December 8 marked the beginning of the last week of school before mid-term break. Holiday concerts and parties filled the schedule and there was much excitement about being dismissed from school for nearly a month! The concerts were darling and the kids all did a wonderful job. Jack's class participated in a concert for Year 2-Year 8. Their songs were "Let's Celebrate Divali" and "The Dradle Song." Owen's concert had a different flair to it; they focused on caring and accepting, which is a great lesson for all of us to remember. And our Kate was the Angel in a concert about "The Incy Wincy Spider climbed up the Christmas Tree."



Which brings me to current day - as I write this we are preparing to welcome John's family to The Lodge for Christmas. Betty and Roger; Elaine, Judd, Peyton and Lauren; and Carol and Jarrod, arrive on Saturday, December 20. Being the OCD Queen that I am, I have tried to come up with a schedule of activities and events to keep us all busy. What I learned at Thanksgiving, however, is that when we are all together we just need to slow down and appreciate being together.
Our first anniversary of our life in London is December 29. I can hardly believe a year has passed. I will greet the New Year with anticipation, excitement and reflection.
I'll write a "things we have learned in our first year" entry soon....stay tuned. In the meantime, our best wishes to all of our family and friends for a very Happy Christmas and blessed New Year! Thanks for your continued support, friendship and love.
Love,
Team Mueller
No comments:
Post a Comment