Friday, July 11, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays Get Me Down

Summer in London is a far cry from summer in Chicago, in terms of weather that is. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week it was 60 degrees, rainy, windy and very dark gray. Coming up with ways to keep the kids entertained without a car is pretty challenging. Getting them to head out in the rain to get on the bus or tube is asking a lot and my request to leave the house is usually met with a chorus of whining and complaining about walking in the rain. So, usually not worth the effort.

John (my fourth child) bought the kids Wii. Needless to say, playing "Indiana Jones Lego Adventure" is usually the favored way to spend their time. On these rainy days we have had to put time limits on playing Wii, computer games and watching t.v. While it is the easiest way to keep them happy, I am trying to be a better parent. I sound like a broken record constantly suggesting we play "Chutes and Ladders" "Twister" or "Candy Land" or read books as an alternative to the electric entertainment.

One morning, the kids braved the elements and we made a short, albeit quite soggy, walk to our local News Agent to buy craft supplies. Armed with colored paper, glitter, paint pens, stickers and markers we headed home for some craft time. The coloring, drawing, cutting and pasting only lasted about an hour, however, and then we were back to square one.

One afternoon the kids disappeared up to Jack and Owen's room. It was strangely quiet, but I just let them be. When they descended from our third floor they were dressed up and playing so nicely together - as Super Heroes!


Kate as Little Robin absolutely made me laugh out loud. No Disney Princesses here folks - we are all action all the time - HIIIIIIYYYAAAAA! (karate chop action required).


We leave for the US in two weeks. We are all so excited to see family and friends. In addition to seeing everyone, I have to say I am quite excited to drive a car, go to the pool and make several runs to Target...oh how I miss Target!!

Cheers!!

No comments: