Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Trip to Hamley's




On Saturday, 2 February we took a trip to Hamley's. For those of you unfamiliar with Hamley's, think of an FAO Schwartz store on steroids.

The reason we went to Hamley's is because Jack and Owen have been doing really well at school.

Specifically, Jack has had 3 perfect spelling tests. Jack has a spelling test every Friday. On Fridays, he is given a list of 10 words to practice writing and spelling. The spelling test is then given on the following Friday. I was a wreck for his first spelling test, especially considering he was only working on Jolly Phonics in Kindergarten at home. Naturally Jack was calm, cool and collected. "Mom, this is easy peasy lemon squeezie." (That seems to be what the teachers say to the students). After his first test, Jack arrived home from school announcing that he got all of his words right - "Mom, I got a 10 out of 10!" He also brought home the next week's list of words and wanted to get to work right away practicing. On his second test, he got another 10 out of 10. John and I told Jack that if he received a third perfect spelling test we would take him to Hamley's as a reward for doing so well in his first month at school.

Jack is not one to miss a chance to pick out a toy - yes, he got another perfect score.

On Saturday morning we hopped on the 139 bus to Regent Street. A very short walk later we were in front of Hamley's. I reminded John that they were each allowed to pick out ONE thing. Jack read the store directory and said, "Dad, the action figures are on the 5th floor, let's go. Mom, we'll see you later." Kate and I were left on the 3rd floor with all of the girlie items and a very irritating pink poodle that barks and walks.
About 20 minutes later the boys descended from the 5th floor with an entire bag full of treasures! I looked at John and he said, "what can I say, I'm soft." Each of the boys walked out of Hamley's with all sorts of Power Rangers and Ben 10 action figures. Kate would not leave the pink poodle behind. Thankfully it runs out of batteries quickly.

We walked further along Regent Street to Piccadilly Circus. When Owen asked where we were going and I answered him, "to Piccadilly Circus" he said, "I don't like the circus." Everyone was a little hungry so I suggested finding a nice spot for Fish & Chips. I was outvoted as soon as Jack eye spied the "BURGER KING" - which we have learned is the most famous in Britain and will be closing in September. Jack and Owen decided they were ready to try the "tube" - so we went to the Piccadilly Circus underground station and boarded a train towards home. Owen and Jack have mastered hopping on and off the escalator by themselves, standing to the right of course, and they know what it means to "mind the gap."

Anther great day in London.


Here is Kate at home with her new "best friend."



And Jack striking a pose with his new Power Ranger transpondersomethingorother....



CHEERS!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow...Jack, that is great work on your spelling tests.

Owen, I am glad you are also doing so well in school.

John, will you take me shopping too? I have been good!

Judd said...

Way to go, Jack!